From Emma Macdonald’s PRESERVING
If you are having to make do with shop bought cranberry sauce this Thanksgiving then plan ahead for next year and make this delicious twist on the original, Cranberry & Orange Sauce, perfect as an accompaniment to your roast turkey, you can even stir a spoonful into your gravy for extra colour and flavour.
CRANBERRY & ORANGE SAUCE
Makes about: 1kg/2lb 4oz
Preparation time:25 minutes, plus 2 weeks maturing
Cooking time:55 minutes
500g/1lb 2oz/heaped 4½ cups cranberries
500g/1lb 2oz/2¼ cups granulated sugar
1. Halve the oranges and squeeze out the juice and pips. Slice the orange peel with its pith into thin shreds, about 4cm/1½in long.
2. Put the peel, orange juice and 1l/35fl oz/4 cups water into a large, heavy-based saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the peel is really soft and the liquid reduced by about a third.
3. Meanwhile, sterilize enough small, wide-necked jars in the oven so that they are ready to use.
4. Add the cranberries to the pan, return to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes until soft and the skins burst.
5. Reduce the heat, add the sugar to the pan and stir until completely dissolved. Return to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
6. Spoon the sauce into the warmed, sterilized jars and cover immediately with a waxed disc and a dampened cellophane round or a lid. Label and store in a cool, dry, dark place.
7. Leave to mature for at least 2 weeks before using. Refrigerate after opening.
A tip from Emma: If you don’t have fresh cranberries you can use frozen instead. It is not necessary to thaw them before use. If you like ginger, you could grate a small piece of root ginger and add with the cranberries.
If you’re looking make the most of your produce or try your hand at making jellies, marmalades, curds and more Emma Macdonald’s Preserving is the only book you’ll need.
A complete collection of classic and contemporary ideas
Preserving by Emma Macdonald
Find out more, and get free postage on all UK orders