From Beverley LeBlanc’s I LOVE MY SLOW COOKER
Don’t reach for the takeaway menu this Saturday night, instead get out your slow cooker and whip up this delicious Chicken Jalfrezi from Beverley LeBlanc. Beverley’s top tip for this one is to make double the quantity of curry paste and freeze the extra, then the next time you want to make this curry you can do so even quicker.
Preparation time:25 minutes
Cooking time:2 Hours
900g/2lb chicken thighs, skin removed
30g/1oz ghee or 2 tbsp vegetable oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil
2 green peppers, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced
2 red peppers, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced
1 green chilli, deseeded if you like, and sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 recipe quantity Jalfrezi Curry Paste (see below)
400g/14oz/scant 1⅔ cups tinned chopped tomatoes
a pinch of garam masala
salt and freshly ground black pepper
coriander leaves, to serve
Cucumber & Mint Raita to serve
cooked pilau or basmati rice, to serve
warm naan breads, to serve
1. Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Melt the ghee in a large frying pan over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add the peppers, chilli and onion and fry, stirring, for 6–8 minutes until the onion is softened and just starting to brown. Stir in the jalfrezi paste and fry for a further 1 minute.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring, then pour the mixture into the cooker.
3. Cover the cooker with the lid. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours until the juices from the chicken run clear when the thickest part of the meat is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or skewer.
4. Add a little more salt and pepper, if you like, and sprinkle over the garam masala. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with Cucumber and Mint Raita, rice and naan breads.
JALFREZI CURRY PASTE
Makes: enough for 1 recipe quantity of curry
Preparation time:10 minutes
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4cm/1½in piece of root ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp tamarind paste
a pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Put the garlic and ginger in a mini food processor and process until a coarse paste forms. Add all of the remaining ingredients and process again, scraping down the side of the bowl as necessary, until blended.
2. If not using immediately, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month.
If you’re looking for more delicious slow cooker recipes Beverley LeBlanc’s I Love My Slow Cooker is a must have for your kitchen.
“More than 100 of the ever recipes”
I Love My Slow Cooker by Beverly LeBlanc
Find out more, and get free postage on all UK orders