Saltado is a Peruvian one-pan dish with an Asian influence. Traditionally made with beef, this vegetarian version features marinated cubes of tofu, new potatoes and red peppers in a herby, spicy tomato sauce.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus 1 hour marinating
Cooking time: 45 minutes
6 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 heaped tsp hot chilli paste
400g/14oz firm tofu, drained, patted dry and
cut into cubes
3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
450g/1lb new potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large onions, chopped
2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
550g/1lb 4oz tomatoes, skinned, deseeded
2 large handfuls of mint leaves, chopped
2 large handfuls of coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of the chilli paste in a large, shallow dish. Add the tofu and turn until it is coated in the marinade. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Twenty minutes before the tofu is ready, heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the potatoes and fry for 16–18 minutes, turning regularly, until golden and crisp all over. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the tofu to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden all over. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed, then add the onion and cook for 6 minutes until softened.
- Add the red peppers and cook for another 3 minutes until tender. While they are cooking, mix together the garlic, ground spices, vinegar and the remaining soy sauce and chilli paste, then add it to the pan with the tomatoes and 5 tablespoons water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the tomatoes break down to make a sauce.
- Return the cooked potatoes and tofu to the pan with three-quarters of the herbs and heat through. Serve sprinkled with the remaining herbs.
Nicola Graimes is an award-winning cookery writer and former editor of Vegetarian Living magazine. She has written more than 20 books.