We’re celebrating the return of the Great British Bake Off with this delicious recipe for Masala Chai-spiced Bread and Butter Pudding from Slow Dough: Real Bread by Chris Young! Read on for the full, spicy and satisfying recipe!
Masala Chai-spiced Bread and Butter Pudding taken from Slow Dough: Real Bread.
PREPARATION TIME: 45-55 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-40 minutes
FOR THE CUSTARD:
600g/11b 5oz/XXX cups milk (or a mixture of milk and cream)
1 green cardamom pod
1 or 2 cloves
1 slice (about 3mm/1/8 inch thick) fresh ginger
2cm/3/4 inch piece of cinnamon quill or cassia bark
1 vanilla pod/bean
a twist or two of black pepper
50g/194ozl/4 cups caster/superfine sugar
300g/10 and a 1/2 oz stale Real Bread, sliced about 1cm/1/2 inch thick
50g/1 and 3/4 0z/3 and 1/2 tbsp butter
zest of half a lemon
50g/1 and 3/4 oz/1/2cup seedless raisins or sultanas/golden raisins
- Measure the milk into a saucepan, add the spices, vanilla and pepper, and heat but do not boil. Cover and set aside to cool and infuse.
- Grease an ovenproof dish. Butter the bread on one side and arrange half of the slices in a layer in the dish. Scatter the lemon zest and raisins over the bread and layer the rest of the bread on top. If you are using a smaller, deeper dish, you might get three layers of bread and two of fruit.
- Strain the spices out of the milk. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds back into the milk (dry the vanilla pod to use again, or to flavour a jar of sugar.
- Whisk together the sugar and eggs, then add the milk and whisk again. Pour the custard over the bread, butter and fruit in the dish – it should reach about half way up the top layer of bread. Press the bread down into the mixture (you don’t want any dry bits) and leave to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/gas 4. Put the pudding in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until brown on top and just set in the middle – wobbly, not watery. Serve warm or cold with cream or custard.
Happy Baking! Why not upload a #SourdoughSelfie tag @RealBreadCampaign and @NourishBooks on Instagram!