The art of a successful detox is in the planning – from preparing your mind by setting goals and clearing your work and social calendars as much as possible, to preparing your body by doing the shopping before you start, and clearing your pantry and fridge of the things you might crave during the Detoxification Phase. For optimum results, the Detoxification Phase should be followed for seven days. Here Saimaa Miller shares her top tips to start detoxifying your body. If you want to know more, you can take a look at Aussie Body Diet, available from Nourish Books and in the best stores.
- Wherever possible, try to source organic products to limit chemical residue entering our bodies and our Earth.
- Drink pure, high-quality water every day – this is vital for detoxification. Herbal tea does not count as part of your water intake. For increased alkalising effects, purchase a water ioniser.
- Brush your skin daily on rising to detoxify your skin, improve your circulation and increase lymph flow.
- Begin the day with an Apple Cider Vinegar Cayenne Shot (1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar, a pinch of cayenne pepper, 50–100 ml warm water, to taste) to kick-start digestion and circulation.
- Try to eat only if you are hungry. N.B. If weight loss is one of your goals and you’re not succeeding, really try to avoid snacking, as well as eating after dinner. Instead, try having a cup of herbal tea or a glass of water with chlorophyll (this takes away sweet cravings too!).
- When you will feel a little more tired and lacking energy, 20 to 30 minutes of gentle exercise each day is sufficient, and if you can do
some yoga at home, then this will be extremely beneficial. Even more important is being mindful about your breathing – take time to meditate or practise deep breathing or mindfulness exercises.
- Keep a NET (nutrition, exercise, thought) diary. This keeps track of everything you eat and drink, and just as importantly, of your thoughts, feelings and emotions. This helps you keep account and is also a great way to monitor your progress. Choose three short-term goals (what you hope to achieve in the next two weeks); three medium-term goals (what you hope to achieve in the next three to six weeks); and three long-term goals (what you hope to achieve in the next three to six months). It is a very simple, powerful and affirming tool to revisit these goals on a daily basis.
Aussie Body Diet
£14.99, Available from Nourish Books
Sign up for our newsletter to get our new articles straight to your inbox every month